Pages

Monday, February 16, 2015

Musings on libnodejs (or libiojs) on Android

What can you do with nodejs on android?

Here are some examples:

  • Run your own server in nodejs on your android device, using the same code you would use for a nodejs x86/x86_64 back end! (e.g. udp/tcp/ip, http, websocket, bit/webtorrent server, webrtc client/STUN/TURN/ICE server);
  • Use existing libraries and code for nodejs and run them in your pocket; (which reminds me NPM (not-paid monkey) is on my TODO list)
  • Connect to other android devices running nodejs;
  • Run nodejs on wearables (ehhh... run a server on your watch?);
  • Use the same javascript client code for testing/production on android;
  • Connect to android sensors/instruments/services via unix domain sockets. (e.g. bluetooth);
  • Connect nodejs with android.webkit.WebView and recreate cordoba/phonegap (wretch);
    • Run cordova-cli on your android device directly;
    • Create stunningly fast mockups with (local) back end code in nodejs
I feel that my hobby/job is coming to full circle, I started out coding in C/C++/javascript/java at the uni. Now I'm still coding in the same languages, but with one more in the mix, Xtend(lang).

I'll clean up my code and release a POC (piece of crap) on the android app store.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please help to keep this blog clean. Don't litter with spam.