Pages

Monday, May 24, 2010

I don't get social media

I don't get tweeting; or any other form of social media. I guess I like my privacy. I don't like dirty laundry hanging about. I don't want future employers to see my drunken nekkid self on some random website, ready to be used against me. (note to future employers: I abstain from being drunk and naked, unless you want to employ me as a drunk and nekkid programmer for tons and tons of cash; this is negotiable.)

Putting stuff out there about yourself feels like mental onanism to me. Putting stuff out there for no other reason than putting it out there, to boost your own self-esteem or some misguided desire to belong to a group, is stupid. I dislike blind conformity.

I guess I can understand why some people do it; especially those whose livelihoods depend on them being some type of social media personality; they have to be constantly out there, to sell there wares; be it good or crap, be it figuratively or physical. We have a strong need to eat, be sheltered, use plumbing etc. at regular intervals.

Running a blog is kinda like using social media, right? So why the hell am I publishing my fecal matter on the web, standing on this pedestal? Partly, the reason I'm doing this is because I have a strong desire to inform, teach, enthuse people about stuff that grab my attention. I like the idea that someone might take some bit of info from this and build something beautiful.

Also, I like seeing my own stuff out there. I can live another day without it, but it's nice to vent to a complete stranger. Onanism isn't all that bad. Self-release the tension building up.

For me it's all about using you, the reader, as a sounding board, to get some kind of connection. I probably won't live to see the singularity, when our humanity is pummeled into bits, bytes and words and human existence will cease to be of flesh and blood; when we're mind-melded up to the wazoo. This will have to do in the meantime.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please help to keep this blog clean. Don't litter with spam.